Thursday, September 23, 2010

Oh noes! They've FOUND me!!!

So I just relearned something I knew in my youth: if you give a major charity some money and an address, suddenly all the charities find you. It's like magic, in a way. *facepalm*

But, OK. Right now that's a good thing. I sure won't run out of ideas, right?

So the other day I got some unsolicited mail from the Sierra Club. What do they do? Uh... something. With the environment. They do something with the environment! Something good. Plus they sent me a picture of their founder with his buddy, Teddy Roosevelt. Teddy Roosevelt, for God's sake!

So yesterday I joined the Sierra Club. I don't know what this means, but they're sending me magazines, I gather so I can sort that part out. Plus they gave me a map of the 'States, which includes basic topographical information. I'm pretty keen on that. I'm hanging it up for the girls as soon as I can decide on the best location (read: spot where it's least likely to be destroyed in ten minutes).

Then today, I put a couple bills in another container by a register. I think it was the Humane Society. It had a kitten on it, anyway.

I guess some parts of this experiment are less about targeted giving to particular places, and more about stumbling around and exploring. Maybe I'll never read the Sierra Club mags; maybe I'll just let my membership fizzle next year. But it's just as possible there will be some article that will catch my attention, and before I know it I'll get sucked into one of their online communities... Perhaps I'll find some great trail that I'd never heard of because someone shared it there. Maybe I'll find some new cause from their activist network.

You never know. The sky's the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment