Sunday, September 26, 2010

Too Real. :-(

Well, today's exercise in giving got a little too real. See, I finally caught up with an ages-long friend today, who'd been trying to reach me since Friday to say "hi." When I actually reached him today, I heard some dour news: he was about to be homeless.

He'd lost his job a while back, and moved home to Boston for a while with family; went to school in the hopes of getting into something new.

Instead, he's been struggling to find work but, like so many, found none.

And Matt and I have just spent our next several paychecks' wiggle room on fixing his car.

I tried to give him a pep talk; he might try to temp through Labor Ready, which is rough stuff, and I told him about the friends I met on a temp job - the most horrible job I have ever held - and how they not only got me through that job, which threatened to break me (did break me, really), but helped me build myself up until I landed the job I wanted. I said you never know where you'll meet the next person to help you.

He said the people he'll work on these jobs with will be as poor as him; but I told him, you would be surprised what someone you think has nothing can give. And someone who has nothing, or has been in a place where they have had nothing, well they're motivated to help you because they know what it is to have nothing.

Tonight, I'm wide awake, and worrying. I wear my heart on the outside, and tonight it's in Portland, OR, where I've got the power to do approximately nothing.

I sent a little money, so he can have something. It's not nearly what I'd like to be able to do. But at least, it's something.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, man, that's always rough when stuff like that happens to a friend.

    But, really, what you've done for him is a fantastic example of what real Friends do for one another. (And an example of how a really amazing person should treat even complete strangers.)

    I know I've been lucky enough to be able to help out friends every now and then. I also know first hand how much having that Friend safety net can help--I was living on people's couches for a year before I got settled where I am now. It's one of the reasons I have an open couch policy, especially for friends. :)

    (Couch is currently occupied by someone who was a complete stranger before she moved in. It's been a fantastic and growth-inducing challenge, but we're both better for it.)

    ReplyDelete